Passenger Ship Website
-
www.simplonpc.co.uk
-
Simplon Postcards Home
-
Recent Updates
-
Search
-
Copyright Information
-
Contact Simplon
This website has no connection with any shipping company, cruise line, boat operator or other commercial organisation
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway
Page 1: West Coast Services - L&NWR Joint Services
This page is devoted to postcards and photographs of the West Coast services of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR), including joint Fleetwood service with the London & North Western Railway (LNWR). LYR East Coast services ware shown on
LYR - Page 2
.
An alphabetical list of ships
shown on this page is shown below.
The Table
beneath gives links to complete history pages on selected individual ships. Below the table is a
Fleet List
in chronological order.
The first services from Fleetwood to the North of Ireland were started in 1843 by the North Lancashire SN Co. By an Act of 1870, the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) and the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) obtained powers to run steamers from Fleetwood to Belfast and Londonderry. The North Lancashire SN Co owned three paddle steamers at this time, of which the
Royal Consort
was taken over by the LYR/LNWR joint companies, who retained the black funnel with a white band for their own ships. They soon acquired the paddle steamer
Prince Arthur
from the Liverpool & Dublin SN Co, followed by the new constructions
Princess of Wales, Thomas Dugdale, Duke of Connaught (1), Earl of Ulster
and
Prince of Wales.
I have not found postcards of these early paddle steamers. The first of the famous screw propelled Dukes was the
Duke of Connaught (2)
, acquired in 1902. Seven more Dukes followed every few years until 1909, only the final two being genuine sisters. The LYR was taken over by the LNWR in 1922, which in turn became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1923. No new ships were acquired for the Fleetwood service after 1909, and the route was closed in 1928 when all Belfast operations were centralized in Heysham. The traditional Duke nomenclature was maintained at Heysham for the following two batches of ships ordered by the LMS and British Railways.
Ships on This Page:-
Colleen Bawn
- 1903-1931
Duke of Albany
- 1907-1916
Duke of Argyll (1)
- 1909-1927
Duke of Clarence
- 1892-1930
Duke of Connaught (2)
- 1902-1934
Duke of Cornwall
- 1898-1928
Duke of Cumberland
- 1909-1927
Duke of Lancaster (1)
- 1895-1912
Duke of York (1)
- 1894-1912
Iverna
- 1902-1912 ex-Drogheda SP Co
Kathleen Mavourneen
- 1902-1903 ex-Drogheda SP Co
Lune
- 1892-1913
Mellifont
- 1903-1933
Norah Creina
- 1902-1912 ex-Drogheda SP Co
Tredagh
- 1902-1904 ex-Drogheda SP Co
Associated Pages:-
British Railways
- Header page for all UK railway-owned Services
Furness Railway
- Barrow-Fleetwood service with paddle steamers
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Page 1
- West Coast Services
- this page!
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Page 2
- East Coast Services
London Midland & Scottish Railway
- Heysham-Belfast Services
Midland Railway
- Heysham-Belfast & Heysham-Douglas Services
Ferry Postcards
Cruise Ship Postcards
Ocean Liner Postcards
Simplon Postcards Home Page
References:-
Maritime Heritage
-
Barrow & Morecambe Bay
by Raymond Sankey (Silver Link, 1986)
Merchant Fleets No.25
-
Britain's Railway Steamers
by Duncan Haws (1993)
Railway & Other Steamers
-
by Duckworth & Langmuir
Search This Website:-
powered by
FreeFind
Table of Ship Histories
Name
Other names
Built
Duke of York (1)
Peel Castle
1894
Duke of Connaught
1902
Duke of Cornwall
Rushen Castle
1898
LYR/LNWR Fleet List
Duke of Clarence
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1892-1906 - 1458 grt)
(LYR: 1906-1922)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1930)
The
Duke of Clarence
was the first of six similar Fleetwood "Dukes" built over a 15 year period. She operated on the Fleetwood-Belfast and Fleetwood-Londonderry routes until 1906.
Duke of Clarence
was then transferred to the
East Coast
for summer service between
Hull and Zeebrugge
, returning to the West Coast each winter. After war service,
Duke of Clarence
returned to the
Hull-Zeebrugge
route until 1930, when she was sold for scrap. She was replaced by one of the later Dukes, the
Duke of Connaught (2)
, which continued the service until 1934.
Official LNWR postcard, issued 1904, of
Duke of Clarence
on Fleetwood-Londonderry service, plus card back.
Official LYR postcard of
Duke of Clarence
on Hull-Zeebrugge summer service, plus card back.
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Clarence
in LYR service.
Click to open larger image in new window
Official LYR postcard, issued 1907, of
Duke of Clarence
with yellow/red funnel on Hull-Zeebrugge summer service, plus card back.
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Clarence
in the Humber.
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Clarence
at Hull.
Card was posted in 1924.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Clarence
at Hull.
Card was posted in 1914.
Postcard of
Duke of Clarence
at Zeebrugge.
Postcard of
Duke of Clarence
at Zeebrugge.
Postcard of
Duke of Clarence
at Zeebrugge.
Lune
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1892-1913 - 253 grt)
The small paddle steamer
Lune
was delivered in 1892 to operate trips to Blackpool and Morecambe. She was sold in 1913 to
Cosens & Co
, becoming the
Melcombe Regis
.
Sankey photograph of
Lune
arriving at
Fleetwood
, with the North Euston Hotel in the background.
Postcard of
Lune
off Blackpool with
Greyhound
in the background, plus an enlarged image.
Photographic postcard of
Melcombe Regis
in
Cosens & Co
service.
Duke of York
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1894-1912 - 1,473 grt)
Duke of York
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1894. In 1912 she was sold to the
Isle of Man SP Co
and renamed
Peel Castle
. She was sold in 1939.
Complete history of
Duke of York
Photograph of
Duke of York
at Londonderry.
I do not have a postcard of
Duke of York
in LYR service.
This is an
Isle of Man SP Co
card as
Peel Castle
.
Duke of Lancaster
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1895-1912 - 1,520 grt)
Duke of Lancaster
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1895. In 1912 she was sold to the
Isle of Man SP Co
and renamed
The Ramsey
. Her IOMSPCo service was short, since she was lost in August 1915.
I do not have a postcard of
Duke of Lancaster
in LYR service. This is an
Isle of Man SP Co
card as
The Ramsey
.
Duke of Cornwall
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1898-1922 - 1,540 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1928)
Duke of Cornwall
was built by Vickers for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Londonderry/Belfast services in 1898. She passed to the LMS in 1923, and was used mainly on Heysham-Douglas sailings. In 1928 the route was passed to the
Isle of Man SP Co
along with the
Duke of Cornwall
and
Antrim
, but not with the third ship used on the route, the
Duchess of Devonshire
, which was sold foreign.
Duke of Cornwall
was
renamed
Rushen Castle
by the
Isle of Man SP Co
and was scrapped in 1948.
Complete history of
Duke of Cornwall
Vickers photograph of
Duke of Cornwall
when new.
Photograph of the crew of
Duke of Cornwall
.
Can anyone date this image? Email:
simplon@simplon.co.uk
Scan: Jennie Ashby
Click to open larger image in new window
Official LYR postcard of
Duke of Cornwall
on the
Hull-Zeebrugge service
, plus card back.
I have no records of
Duke of Cornwall
serving on the
East Coast
.
A modern "Motor-in-Man" postcard of
Duke of Cornwall
in LMS Heysham-Douglas service, issued as
Rushen Castle
.
A photographic postcard of
Duke of Cornwall
in LMS Heysham-Douglas service.
The card has then been overprinted with the name
Rushen Castle
, and cropped at the bottom to remove the old name (traces of which are still visible bottom left).
Duke of Cornwall
was passed to the IOMSPCo in 1928, along with the Heysham-Douglas route.
This is another LMS card issued as IOMSPCo.
A photographic postcard of
Rushen Castle
, showing extended accommodation.
Duke of Connaught (2)
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1902-1922 - 1,680 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1934)
Duke of Connaught (2)
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1902. In 1930 she was transferred to the
Hull-Zeebrugge service
, replacing
Duke of Clarence
. The route remained summer-only, with
Duke of Connaught (2)
returning to Fleetwood each winter. These journeys were marketed as short cruises -
scans of a brochure have been added
.
Duke of Connaught (2)
was scrapped in 1934.
Complete history of
Duke of Connaught (2)
Official LNWR postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
on Fleetwood-Belfast service.
This card has the LNWR emblem at the top left. Card posted 1908.
Official LNWR postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
on Fleetwood-Belfast service.
This variation has the LNWR emblem at the bottom right. Card posted 1908.
Official LNWR postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
on Fleetwood-Belfast service.
This variation has no LNWR emblem.
Official LYR postcard, issued 1907, of
Duke of Connaught (2)
on Fleetwood-Belfast service.
Official LYR postcard, issued 1907, of
Duke of Connaught (2)
on Fleetwood-Belfast service.
The card has a 1910 overprint in French, advertising through services from the continent.
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photographic art postcard of
Duke of Connaught (2)
.
Photograph of
Duke of Connaught (2)
in LMS service at Fleetwood.
Photo: British Railways
Cover of cruise guide for
Duke of Connaught's
1931 positioning cruise from Fleetwood to Hull.
Additional scans from this guide are shown on the
complete history page
.
Kathleen Mavourneen
(1902-1903)
Tredagh
(1902-1904)
Iverna
(1902-1912)
Norah Creina
(1902-1912)
In 1902, the LYR acquired the Drogheda SP Co which operated a passenger/cargo service between Drogheda and Liverpool with four elderly paddle steamers. In 1903, two new screw steamers
Mellifont
and
Colleen Bawn
were built for the service, replacing the two of the paddle steamers,
Tredagh
(1876) and
Kathleen Mavourneen
(1885), which were scrapped. The remaining two paddle steamers
Iverna
(1895) and
Norah Creina
(1878) were retained until 1912.
Drogheda SP Co paddle steamer
Iverna
or
Norah Creina
at Drogheda.
Mellifont
or
Colleen Bawn
is viable in the background.
Mellifont
Colleen Bawn
(LYR: 1903-1922 - 1204 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1933/1)
In 1902, the LYR acquired the Drogheda SP Co which operated a passenger/cargo service between Drogheda and Liverpool with four elderly paddle steamers. In 1903, two new screw steamers
Mellifont
and
Colleen Bawn
were built for the service, replacing the two of the paddle steamers,
Tredagh
(1876) and
Kathleen Mavourneen
(1885), which were scrapped. The remaining two paddle steamers
Iverna
(1895) and
Norah Creina
(1878) were retained until 1912. In 1914, the Liverpool-Drogheda passenger service was discontinued, with
Mellifont
and
Colleen Bawn
continuing in freight mode only until 1928, when the route was passed to B&I as part of the major restructuring of LMS routes carried out that year.
Mellifont
and
Colleen Bawn
then worked as freight ships for the LMS out of Holyhead until scrapped in 1933/1931 respectively. Between 1906 and 1912,
Mellifont
had served on the East Coast between Hull and Zeebrugge/Antwerp.
Postcard of
Mellifont
or
Colleen Bawn
at Drogheda.
Official LYR postcard of
Mellifont
with yellow/red funnel on Hull-Zeebrugge/Antwerp service.
Duke of Albany
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1907-1916 - 2,259 grt)
Duke of Albany
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1907, the last of the classic Fleetwood Dukes. Her career as a front line steamer was short, since she was superseded by the two turbine Dukes in 1909. She then ran mainly relief and extra services. In 1916 she was torpedoed and sunk off the Orkneys, whilst acting as an Armed Boarding Vessel (
HMS Duke of Albany
- pennant number M.11). Armed Boarding Vessels were used to stop and inspect neutral ships to ensure they were not assisting Germany's war effort. Since this entailed remaining stationary, it placed them at great risk of U-boat attack.
Official LYR & LNWR postcard of
Duke of Albany
.
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Albany
.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photograph of the crew of
Duke of Albany
.
Can anyone date this image? Email:
simplon@simplon.co.uk
Scan: Jennie Ashby
Click to open larger image in new window
The captain has been identified as Robert Lyttle, shown below with wife and children.
Scan: John Lyttle (3)
Captain Robert Lyttle's son John Lyttle (1), also served on the
Duke of Albany
.
He was aboard
Duke of Albany
when she was torpedoed.
Seen here with his son John Lyttle (2)
Scan: John Lyttle (3)
Porcelain from
HMS Duke of Albany
.
Scan: John Lyttle (3)
Click to open larger image in new window
Duke of Argyll
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1909-1922 - 2,052 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1927)
Duke of Argyll
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1909, the first of a pair of turbines. In 1927 she was transferred to Angleterre-Lorraine-Alsace, and renamed
Alsacien
for Tilbury-Dunkirk service.
Sankey photographic postcard of
Duke of Argyll
.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photographic postcard of
Duke of Argyll
at Fleetwood.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photograph of
Duke of Argyll
in LMS service at Fleetwood.
Photo: British Railways
Duke of Cumberland
(LYR/LNWR Joint: 1909-1922 - 2,052 grt)
(LNWR: 1922)
(LMS: 1923-1927)
Duke of Cumberland
was built for the joint LYR/LNWR Fleetwood-Belfast service in 1909, the second of a pair of turbines. In 1927 she was transferred to Angleterre-Lorraine-Alsace, and renamed
Picard
for Tilbury-Dunkirk service.
Sankey photographic postcard of
Duke of Cumberland
.
Click to open larger image in new window
Photographic art postcard of
Duke of Cumberland
.
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Page 1
-
Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway - Page 2
London Midland & Scottish Railway
-
Midland Railway
Ferry Postcards
-
Cruise Ship Postcards
-
Ocean Liner Postcards
Top of Page
-
Simplon Postcards - Recent Updates
-
Simplon Postcards - Home Page
©1999-2008 Copyright Ian Boyle/Simplon Postcards (all pages on web site)
All Rights Reserved
Free Web Counter
Times viewed since 27/02/2008: